Collard Greens are the proper southern-inspired facet dish and so stuffed with taste.
This member of the cabbage household has an earthy taste and a meaty, tender texture not like some other cooked inexperienced you’ve had earlier than. It’s the proper facet dish!
Reading: How long to cook collard greens
I completely love greens of any type from Creamed Spinach to this straightforward collard greens recipe! On a latest journey to GA, I visited Paula Deen’s restaurant and was in heaven with a plate stuffed with fried hen, mac and cheese, tacky grits and tender greens! Actually one of the best.
Should you’ve by no means tried these stunning greens earlier than, this straightforward collard greens recipe is a good introduction. I like serving them alongside Black Eyed Peas Recipe (with Ham) with an enormous chunk of cornbread.
What Are Collard Greens?
Collard greens are a unfastened leafed cabbage, just like kale, however with very giant easy leaves, and a milder taste. They’re cheap, filled with diet, and good and hearty.
Read more: How to cook a medium rare steak
The should be cooked, they’re too robust to eat uncooked.
Elements embrace onion and garlic, a little bit of liquid and a few type of smoked meat (bacon, ham hocks or smoked turkey). I take advantage of bacon as a result of I most frequently have it readily available.
As consolation meals goes, you may’t discover a higher instance than this flavorful leafy inexperienced. Serve them with pulled pork, fried hen or ribs, and naturally our favourite macaroni and cheese recipe!
Find out how to Prepare dinner Collard Greens
A single bunch of reduce collards produces a hefty mountain that can fill your pot to the highest, however they cook dinner down by lower than half. As a result of collard greens are fairly robust, they take longer to cook dinner than most different greens.
Collard greens can have a variety of grit and dust and so they have a tricky stem so that you’ll need to ensure you clear them effectively. Extra particulars on the right way to clear collard greens right here (and the right way to reduce them).
- Clear and reduce your collard greens into one-inch items (as described right here).
- Prepare dinner bacon (put aside a bit for garnish) and soften the onion within the bacon grease.
- Add the greens and broth. Prepare dinner till tender, as much as 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the reserved cooked bacon.
They may even profit from gradual cooking. To make Crockpot collard greens, begin by sautéing, and after the collards wilt, place them in your crock pot, cowl, and cook dinner till tender.
How Lengthy to Prepare dinner Collard Greens
Most leafy greens don’t take too lengthy to cook dinner, however collard greens are an exception to this rule.
- Range High Collards could seem smooth sufficient after quarter-hour however make sure allow them to cook dinner for the complete time. The feel and taste after cooking for longer are unbelievable. Sauteed collard greens want about 35-40 minutes.
- Instantaneous Pot Give collard greens 20 minutes to cook dinner in an Instantaneous Pot or strain cooker.
- Sluggish Cooker Prepare dinner within the gradual cooker for 3 hours on excessive or 6 on low.
Extra Recipes You’ll Love
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil – a straightforward twist on a traditional favourite!
- Biscuits and Gravy – so flavorful
- Shrimp and Grits – private favourite!
- Soiled Rice – my daughter’s favourite!
- Corn Casserole – good for potlucks
- Straightforward Pecan Pie Recipe – don’t overlook dessert!
Did you take pleasure in this Collard Inexperienced recipe? You’ll want to go away a score and a remark beneath!
Read more: Beef stroganoff with ground beef