Microwave popcorn is so fast and straightforward to make at residence with kernels and pops up recent and excellent each time. Make in a bowl or a paper bag and add your favourite toppings!
It’s Thursday, we’re arising on a protracted vacation weekend, and I’m so trying ahead to having an additional break day. True, our days look actually bizarre proper now and we will’t actually go anyplace, however it’ll be a pleasant break all the identical.
Reading: How to pop popcorn in microwave
Anyway, I believed we’d delve proper into the recipe immediately!
We eat A LOT of popcorn in my home.
It’s roughly a weekly go-to with our kiddos for film nights. And to be trustworthy, my husband requests it as a lot as they do.
I’m glad to oblige as a result of it’s so fast and straightforward to make within the microwave. I get the popcorn going whereas everybody’s preparing for the film, then all of us sit down with a bowl or cup of it (and a paper towel for greasy palms) and dig in.
There’s one thing actually cozy and glad about it. To not point out tasty!
So generally we’ve got it for a mid-week snack, too. (Home made granola bars, uncooked brownie bites and 5-ingredient granola are additionally favourite weekly snacks in our home.)
Bonus: Popcorn is an entire grain, so all by itself, it’s technically a very wholesome snack.
And relying on what you add to it, it may keep that means.
No matter what you add, too, making it at house is a a lot more healthy model than the store-bought popcorn that has all types of additional components.
We’re traditionalists with butter and salt, however that’s nonetheless simply three elements: popcorn, butter and salt. I acknowledge all of these elements, which is greater than I can say for some ingredient labels on luggage you’ll purchase on the retailer.
Plus, it’s SO less expensive to make it your self.
And as soon as you know the way to make it, you may have popcorn on the prepared anytime. On a regular basis!
Plus, we’ve bought two other ways you can also make yours:
- Microwave popcorn in a glass bowl
- Microwave popcorn in a paper bag
I’ve executed each methods many occasions and so they every work nice. It’s a matter of what supplies you’ve got readily available and what your choice is.
Under are detailed directions and recommendations on each, so you may see what sounds good to you.
Read more: How to start an ice cream truck business
(I’ve additionally bought some enjoyable topping and mix-in concepts too, if you wish to jazz up the flavour of your popcorn.)
Trigger extra popcorn enjoyable and extra popcorn flavors can solely be an excellent factor, proper?
Film nights, right here we come!
Now, I’ve bought some notes and suggestions arising on the way to make microwave popcorn, in addition to concepts for toppings. Simply tryin’ to be useful.
If you wish to leap on right down to the recipe, merely scroll proper on by way of the remainder of the textual content. The recipe card is on the finish of the put up, simply above the remark part.
Notes on making microwave popcorn:
- As a normal rule, 3 tablespoons of popcorn kernels equals about 7.5 cups of popped popcorn, give or take.
- It is best to cease the cooking time within the microwave once you hear 2 to three seconds of pause between pops on the finish.
- Some kernels could not pop. That’s OK. Don’t maintain including time as a result of that may trigger a number of the popcorn to burn and that doesn’t style good in any respect.
- Watch out of the steam once you open the bowl or bag. Additionally, use oven mitts to take away your container rigorously from the microwave.
Most grocery shops promote popcorn kernels; both in a bag or a plastic container. It’s often close to the nuts and different popcorn merchandise.
You too can purchase popcorn kernels on-line. (Right here’s one massive container, however there’s all types of various sizes and types to select from.)
OK, let’s get right down to the specifics for every methodology. You might discover you like one over the opposite, or it’s possible you’ll bounce backwards and forwards between the 2 strategies, like I do.
The best way to make microwave popcorn in a bowl:
– You’ll want a really massive microwave-safe glass bowl with a decent becoming lid. I exploit my largest Pyrex bowl from a nested set; it’s 4 quarts. (This one, in actual fact.)
– I like to recommend not more than 1/3 cup of kernels; in any other case, it’s possible you’ll find yourself with tons that don’t pop. If it’s essential to make an enormous batch of popcorn, do it in two rounds within the microwave.
– Cowl and set the microwave on excessive for six minutes, however pay attention rigorously after about 4 1/2 minutes. The popcorn must be stopped once you hear 2 seconds between pops on the finish.
Generally, although, you don’t have a giant bowl with a lid that you could put within the microwave. (That is very true when touring or on trip.)
So the paper bag trick can come in useful. (It’s additionally simple clean-up!)
The best way to make microwave popcorn in a paper bag:
– Add your popcorn kernels to the underside of a giant paper bag.
– Many recipes name for coating the kernels in a teaspoon or so of canola oil or vegetable oil. I’ve made it that means however have additionally skipped that step and it was high quality, so I don’t assume it’s needed.
– Add as much as 1/2 cup of kernels to a big dimension brown paper bag. (Equivalent to a roughly 12x6x4 inch dimension with a flat backside.) If yours are the smaller dimension, add as much as 1/3 cup kernels.
– Fold the paper bag down twice and place immediately on the microwave plate.
– Microwave on excessive, set for 3 1/2 minutes, however pay attention rigorously after the two minute mark. The popcorn must be stopped once you hear 2 seconds between pops on the finish.
– Take away the bag, open rigorously and switch the popcorn to a serving bowl. Combine with butter and salt – or any desired toppings – within the bowl and toss to mix.
Professional tip: Soften your butter within the microwave earlier than you begin the popcorn, so it’s able to drizzle as quickly because the popcorn is completed.
And who would I be if I didn’t offer you some concepts for enjoyable toppings?
Butter and salt, in fact, are conventional and superb. They’re our go-to week in and week out and nothing flawed with that.
However if you wish to get a bit of artistic, department out a bit, right here’s some new toppers to contemplate.
Topping concepts for popcorn:
- Butter, salt and chili powder – add a pinch of cayenne for a spicy kick
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Melted chocolate and sea salt
- Parmesan cheese or dietary yeast
- Chili lime seasoning
- Toasted coconut
- Browned butter, rosemary and lemon peel
- Bacon grease and crumbled bacon
- Pumpkin spice
- Apple pie spice
- Ranch seasoning
- Peanut butter (soften with honey and sugar till pourable)
- Caramel or salted caramel
- Salt and vinegar
- Buffalo sauce and butter
- Previous Bay seasoning
Or get artistic and give you your personal favourite flavors and toppings on your popcorn.
You too can add some enjoyable mix-ins to selfmade popcorn, reminiscent of mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows, dried fruit (reminiscent of raisins or dried cranberries) or small candies.
(Popcorn is without doubt one of the elements in my loaded and festive Valentine’s Day snack combine.)
The choices are limitless. And oh so scrumptious.
Film evening by no means appeared so good. Pop up some popcorn immediately and settle in for a comfy night.
Take pleasure in!
P.S. I received’t have a brand new recipe Monday because of the Memorial Day vacation, however I’ll be again subsequent Thursday with a brand new dinner recipe.
You possibly can join free e-newsletter to get all of my new recipes delivered straight to your inbox so that you by no means miss a factor. I’ll even ship you my free e-cookbook, Wholesome Weeknight Dinners, as a thanks!