My Easy Smoked Pulled Pork Butt (AKA Smoked Pork Shoulder) is a go-to any time I’m seeking to feed a hungry crowd and don’t need an excessive amount of fuss. With solely 3 substances, you’re taking a look at some good, basic BBQ with loads of taste.
Reading: Recipe for smoking boston butt
Smoked Pulled Pork
This course of for smoked pulled pork is a scrumptious solution to cook dinner pork butt. It’s a comparatively straightforward course of that requires a little bit of time, some easy substances, and a trusty smoker.
This publish is the proper information to your first pulled pork. Be certain that to learn it to the top (a number of good data right here) in addition to scroll under to the printable recipe card to soak up all of the pork information so that you’ll be totally able to tackle this scrumptious beast.
The rationale I name this smoked pulled pork butt “simple” is due to how little effort it takes. This recipe doesn’t require any fancy injections, instruments, spritzing concoctions, or wrapping to have it come out completely excellent each. single. time. All that you must make this recipe a hit is an efficient pork shoulder, my well-known selfmade candy BBQ rub, good smoke, and loads of time.
Smoked Pork Butt vs. Smoked Pork Shoulder
Most smoked pork butt recipes name for a bone-in pork shoulder, typically additionally labeled a Boston butt roast or a pork butt. All of those labels are for the very same lower of pork.
None of them truly come from the butt finish of the pig (which may undoubtedly be complicated), however from the higher a part of the shoulder. The pork butt, or pork shoulder, has many overlapping and arduous working muscle teams which might be sure along with tight connective tissue.
That tight tissue makes this lower significantly properly suited to smoking. It could be very tough to easily slice and serve a pork shoulder roast that wasn’t cooked low and sluggish to interrupt down these tight muscle tissue and connective fibers. You’d find yourself chewing for a very long time and never getting anyplace.
Through the use of the low and sluggish technique of cooking the meat over a wooden hearth for a very long time, these tissues begins to interrupt down, tenderize, and create superb strands of tremendous succulent smoked pork shoulder.
Elements for Smoked Pulled Pork
Right here’s all you’ll must seize to make your easy smoked pulled pork butt:
- 8-10 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (or Boston butt)
- 2-3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon Signature Candy Rub, divided use (this rub could be made utilizing my recipe for the Greatest Candy Rub, or you should buy it pre-made from Patio Provisions)
Bam. That’s it. Three substances are all that stand between you and a few candy, candy, smoked pulled pork.
Easy methods to Smoke a Pork Butt
This easy smoked pulled pork shoulder is made utilizing old fashioned BBQ strategies and flavors to offer you tremendous genuine and additional tasty pulled pork. Right here’s how one can do it:
- Preheat. Get your favourite smoker operating regular at 225 levels F. My favourite woods for making smoked pulled pork is both hickory or apple (or a mixture of the 2). Each are gentle sufficient to enhance the pork with out overwhelming you with smoke.
- Slather in mustard. Seize some nitrile gloves and liberally coat the pork shoulder with mustard.
- Season. Season on all sides with my signature candy BBQ rub. This rub is a cornerstone of Hey Grill Hey made out of a brown sugar base seasoned with smoked paprika, onion, garlic, and slightly cayenne.
- Smoke. As soon as the pork has been prepped, place it immediately on the grill grates of the smoker (ideally fats aspect up). Shut the lid, and smoke for 15-20 hours, or till the inner temperature of the pork reaches 195-201 levels F.
- Relaxation, shred and serve. As soon as your pork has reached temperature, take away it from the smoker, and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. Enable the roast to relaxation for at the least an hour.
- Shred and serve. As soon as your pork has had time to relaxation, seize some forks or my superior Hey Grill Hey shredder claws and go to city. Take away the bone and discard any fats or gristle. Function-is or on a bun with some Do-it-yourself Coleslaw for a scrumptious pulled pork sandwich.
How Lengthy to Smoke a Pork Butt
Together with your smoker operating regular at 225 levels F, you may sometimes plan about 2 hours of cook dinner time per pound of pork.
For instance, an 8-pound pork shoulder will take about 16 hours from begin to end. Fast word! Each lower of meat is slightly bit completely different, so plan forward for variations in cook dinner time! I’ve had some 8-pound smoked pork butts end in 12 hours and a few 10-pound smoked pork butts take 20 hours to complete.
Read more: Camper’s dream ice cream maker
I like to recommend prompt learn probe thermometer to maintain observe of the inner temperature of the meat, and for this one purpose. You’ll discover a sample emerge as you begin to smoke pork butts extra continuously. Your meat rises in temperature as much as about 145 levels F fairly shortly, then the cooking course of will sluggish dramatically and take hours to extend in temperature from 145 levels F to 165 levels F. This section is named the “Stall” and is totally regular. Don’t panic, simply let every thing hold cooking and finally the temperature will begin to rise once more.
Numerous pitmasters select to wrap their smoked pork butt in foil or butcher paper at this level to assist shorten the method and push their meat by way of this stall interval (you may see how I make the most of this method HERE). For this easy smoked pork butt recipe, I didn’t wrap in any respect.
As a substitute, I let the smoke proceed to work on the pork shoulder and it helped to develop a extremely superb exterior crust on the surface of the meat referred to as “bark.” For these not conversant in the world of BBQ, this outer coating could seem burned, however to these within the know, that darkish caramelized bark is totally coveted!
Easy methods to Freeze Smoked Pulled Pork
Should you’re like me, you usually have a hankering for pulled pork if you solely have your small household to feed. If you end up on this predicament, merely freeze the leftovers!
- Get your pork cooled to room temperature or colder earlier than placing within the freezer bag. Sizzling pulled pork will steam and kind moisture crystals within the bag. It additionally appears to end in mushy pulled pork when reheating.
- Shred the pork earlier than freezing. It will will let you flatten your luggage earlier than including them to the freezer, saving area and getting your pork frozen sooner (which suggests higher tasting meat when it’s reheated).
- Use freezer-safe luggage. Freeze the pork in both gallon sized zip high luggage or a vacuum sealed bag that’s freezer rated. This helps protect freshness and lower down on freezer burn. It’s also essential through the reheating course of.
- Take away extra air within the bag. Whether or not you utilize a meals saver or only a common zip high freezer bag, take away as a lot air as attainable. It will assist your meat last more frozen.
- Use it or lose it. Frozen pulled pork will final 6 weeks in a fridge/freezer combo, or as much as 6 months in a deep freeze if the air has been sufficiently eliminated. Write the identify and date in your freezer luggage so you may hold observe.
Easy methods to Reheat Smoked Pulled Pork
Able to reheat that pork you’ve prepared within the freezer? Listed below are some methods to get your pork tasting simply nearly as good because the day it got here off the smoker.
- Defrost first for crispy pork. Pop your frozen pork into the fridge to defrost for twenty-four hours earlier than heating by way of. Subsequent, add some cooking fats, like avocado oil, to your forged iron skillet and add your shredded pork, flipping the pulled pork items each 2-3 minutes, till cooked by way of. I take advantage of this technique most frequently for pulled pork tacos or burritos.
- Simmer from frozen for freshest taste. If you’d like your reheated pork to style nearly as good because the day you made it, a sluggish simmer in water is the way in which to go. Be certain that your freezer luggage are sealed tightly, so no water will get within the bag. Deliver a big pot of water as much as simply barely a simmer (don’t boil!) and slide your frozen bag of pulled pork into the pot. In case your pulled pork bag is about 1 inch thick, you’ll must let it simmer within the water for about 25-Half-hour.
- Smoke it some extra! I’ve additionally used the smoker to reheat frozen pork. Defrost the package deal sufficient to take away the meat. Place the pulled pork in a disposable aluminum pan, pour about 1/4 cup of apple juice into the pan with the pork, and place it right into a preheated 225 diploma F smoker. Shut the lid lid smoke for about 2 hours, breaking up and stirring the pork each Half-hour or so, till it’s totally reheated.
Extra Smoked Pulled Pork Recipes
Hooray! You’ve mastered this easy pulled pork recipe! Able to get slightly fancy and check out another flavors and strategies? Strive my different tasty recipes under! Every one is exclusive and easily bursting with taste.
- Buffalo Smoked Pulled Pork
- Cider Brined Pulled Pork
- Carolina Pulled Pork
Smoked Pulled Pork Butt/Shoulder Recipe
**This publish was initially printed in September 2017. We not too long ago up to date it with extra info and useful ideas. The recipe stays the identical.
Read more: Trim healthy mama ice cream